Why Laravel is best PHP Framework
Over the past year, I have tried many different frameworks for many languages like — Ruby on Rails, Spring, Symphony, Yii2, Laravel and many more. Each framework have their own features and capibilities, used during the development of application. When I came accross Laravel (A PHP framework), fell in love instantly with how easy it was to get started with it. However, I still love to use Rails for some other project, if PHP is not being used.
Here are some of the reasones that I would suggest giving Laravel a try and why I will never go back to another PHP framework.
Before Starting real story about Laravel, What is Framework?
In general, a framework is a real or conceptual structure intended to serve as a support or guide for the building of something that expands the structure into something useful.
“In computer programming, a software framework is an abstraction in which software providing generic functionality can be selectively changed by additional user-written code, thus providing application-specific software.” — Wikipedia
In Easy way, A framework is the structure that you can choose to build your program on. It can allow you to connect to many different API’s as well as determine the structure of your own application.
A Software frmework does several things:
- It makes it easier to work with complexity
- Write clean and resuable Code which help to devlop project smoothly
- It forces the team to implement code in a way that promotes consistent coding, fewer bugs, and more flexible applications
- Made Testing and Debugging of code more easily
A web framework (WF) or web application framework (WAF) is a software framework that is designed to support the development of web applications including web services, web resources and web APIs. Web frameworks aim to alleviate the overhead associated with common activities performed in web development.
A PHP Framework is a collection of classes which help you develop a web application easier.
What is Laravel?
Laravel is one of the highly used, open-source modern web application framework that designs customized web applications quickly and easily.
Developers prefer Laravel over to other frameworks because of the performance, features, scalability it offer. It follows Model View Controller (MVC) which makes it more useful than PHP.
It attempts to take the pain out of development by easing common tasks used in the majority of web projects, such as authentication, routing, sessions and caching. It has a unique architecture, where it is possible for developers to create their own infrastructure that is specifically designed for their application.
Laravel is used not only for big project but also best to use for small project.
Who and When
Taylor Otwell created Laravel as an attempt to provide a more advanced alternative to the CodeIgniter framework, which did not provide certain features such as built-in support for user authentication and authorization.
Laravel’s first beta release was made available on June 9, 2011, followed by the Laravel 1 release later in the same month.
In August 23, 2016 New version of Laravel 5.3 was released.
Key Features of Laravel
- Modularity or Multi-app: Modularity is the degree to which a system’s components may be separated and recombined. You split of the business logic into different parts, which belongs together. If you’re into Domain Driven Design, you can consider a module an aggregate.
- Authentication: Authentication is the most important part of any web application and developers spent enormous time writing the authentication code. Authentication has become simpler with this update in Laravel 5.
- Application Logic: It can be implemented within any application either using controllers or directly into route declarations using syntax similar to the Sinatra framework. Laravel is designed with priviledges giving a developer the flexibility that they need to create everything from very small sites to massive enterprise applications.
- Caching : Caching is a temporary data storage used to store data for a while and can be retrieved quickly. It is often used to reduce the times we need to access database or other remote services. It can be a wonderful tool to keep your application fast and responsive.
- Method or Dependency Injection: In Laravel Inversion of control (IoC) container is a powerful tool for managing class dependencies. Dependency injection is a method of removing hard-codded class dependencies. Laravel’s IoC container is one of the most used Laravel features.
- Routing: With Laravel, we can easily approach to routing. The route can be triggered in the application with good flexibility and control to match the URL.
- Restful Controllers: Restful controllers provide an optional way for separating the logic behind serving HTTP GET and POST requests.
- Testing & Debuging: Laravel is built with testing in mind in Fact, support for testing with PHPUnit is included out of the box and a phpunix.xml file is already setup for your application.
- Automatic Pagination: Simplifies the task of implementing pagination, replacing the usual manual implementation approaches with automated methods integrated into Laravel.
- Template Engine: Blade is a simple, yet powerful templating engine provided with Laravel. Unlike controller layouts, Blade is driven by template inheritance and sections. All Blade templates should use the .blade.php extension.
- Database Query Builder: Laravel’s database query builder provides a convenient, fluent interface to creating and running database queries.
- Multiple file system: Laravel 5 provides the native support for multiple file system. Laravel uses third party package Flysystem to provide multiple file support. You can use any of Local or Cloud based storage to provide simple configuration. You can configure storage options in config/filesystems.php file. You can also bypass all file system facade in the application and work directly disk facade.
These are some of the most used features of Laravel. There are more other features included in each and every release. Laravel helps to create wonderful applications using simple, expressive syntax, that’s why Laravel is most used PHP Framework over the decade since it’s released.